Lödige ploughshare® mixers (Lab machine)
Lödige laboratory mixers have a drum volume of 5, 10, 20 or 50 l. They combine our usual mixing quality with an extensive range of accessories to comply with a large number of requirements.
The laboratory ploughshare mixers operate on the principle of a mechanical generated fluid bed introduced by Lödige to industrial mixing technology. Equipped with mixing elements which can be adapted to individual requirement, the mixes produced in these machines are of the highest quality. .
The ploughshare shovels in special arrangement on a mixing shaft in a horizontal, cylindrical drum rotate closely to the wall. Their peripheral speed and geometric form are coordinated in such a way that the mix is moved out of the product bed against the centrifugal force and in axial direction at the same time. In addition, the shape of the shovels lifts the product particles from the drum wall. The mixing elements having a defined shape and a special arrangement on the shaft, they ensure not only a reliable product conveyance but also a sufficient back-mixing of the product. The so-called “mechanical” fluid bed generated in this way, whereby all the product is constantly involved in the process, ensures a maximum mixing intensity at even the highest throughputs and shortest residence times until the product is discharged out of the mixer via an outlet.
Thanks to their form adapted to individual application and the speed adjustment, Lödige ploughshare mixers can be used for a wide range of applications – for processing bulk solids (powdery, grainy, fibrous) or pumpable products.
Choppers can be additionally installed in the mixing drum to increase the turbulence in the mixing process. This also ensures the mixing of fine particles in small quantity and enables the dispersion of product agglomerations and primary particles.
The fluid bed generated mechanically achieves intensive separation of particles, especially in the upper area of the mixing drum. This optimizes the surface contact of the particles with liquids permitting lump-free mixing and homogeneous distribution.
For laboratory mixers with a volume of 50 l, the housing can be easily moved to the side permitting free access to the technical systems area.
Flüssige Rezepturbestandteile können über verschiedene Zugabesysteme in das bewegte Produkt eingeleitet werden. Hier können Rohrzuleitungen bei größeren Mengen oder auch Düsen (im Allgemeinen bei relativ kleinen Mengen) eingesetzt werden. Die Benetzung von Mischerwand und Welle kann weitestgehend durch die Positionierung vermieden werden. Der Einsatz von Messerköpfen unterstützt die Verteilwirkung von Flüssigkeiten.
Liquid components can be added into the product in motion by the means of diverse feeding systems. Pipes for large liquid quantity or nozzles for smaller quantity in general are used. Due to exact positioning, the wetting of the mixer wall and main mixing shaft is avoided as far as possible. Choppers support the distribution effect of the liquids.
A product is automatically granulated when liquids are added to products which turn sticky in contact with a liquid or if they contain binding agents. This granulation effect can be more or less pronounced. Usually the bulk density of the product is increased as soon as it is subsequently dried. The particle size can be adjusted in a wide range depending on the product properties. The particle size can be increased too by addition of liquid or powder in a repeated manner. The use of choppers in such granulation processes can be of advantage. The liquid added is initially distributed in an effective manner, then the particle size is built up more homogeneously and finally the structure of each particle is more compact.
The intensive product movement enables the addition of liquid components to ensure coating of the particles. Molten fat for example can be preferably spread in a liquid form onto the particle surface in order to then recrystallize while cooling down. Cooling is performed in an effective manner by using liquid nitrogen or carbon dioxide snow which is added directly into the product. Further coating processes, like reaction coating, are deemed possible too.
The melting of the coating agent in a powdery product is also feasible in a mixer by heating up the powdery product to the melting point of the coating agent and then cooling down.
The design of the housing for the machine types L 5, L 10, L 20 is standardised and suitable for the use of different drum sizes and mixing shafts.
- Swivelling endplate
- Mixing element speed continuously adjustable
- Control unit integrated in the housing
- Stainless steel mixer and housing
- Mixer completely fitted
- Mounting for exchangeable mixing drum sizes*
- Table model (machine table optional)*
- User-friendly control system
* Not for laboratory mixers with a container volume of 50 l.
- Exchangeable drums with a volume of 5, 10, 20 l
- Machine support structure*
- Jacket for heating and cooling
- Dust-free feeding device
- Cover with nozzle
- Various mixing tool and chopper variants
- Addition of liquids for moistening, granulation and coating
* Not for laboratory mixers with a container volume of 50 l.
Features „Hygienic Design“
- High surface quality, Ra < 0.8 µm
- All materials in contact with the product have FDA approval
- Easy to clean (no “dead zones” in the product area)
- Practically complete discharging possible
- Electrical control system according to GAMP5 requirements
Area of application
Lödige ploughshare mixers are used for different mixing applications in practically all industries. We have delivered over 35,000 machines in 80 years. This is a small excerpt of our applications in the
- oven-ready flours and baking aids
- dry soups and bouillon powders
- flavourings, spices and table salts
- granola and vitamin products
- fruit teas and classic mixes
- cocoa and fruit drinks
- candy, filling and chocolate pastes
- soft cheeses and cheese spread
- decorative sugar and crispy coating
- eye shadow and facial powder
- hair dye and bath essences
- mascara and lipsticks
- tablet compounds
- raw materials for implants
- pre-mixes for tablet compounds and active components with high mixing qualities
- granulation and drying of tablet compounds
- film and sugar coating of tablets, capsules and pellets
- vacuum drying of temperature-sensitive products and active components
- effervescent powders and granulates in a “single-pot process”